Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Prayers for Coleman ...


If you've been reading my blog, you know that over the last 6-7 months I've been following the Larson family through their journey of their little boy (Coleman) cancer HELL. He's had ups and downs and their story has been heartbreaking, inspiring and terrifying all in one for me. Little Coleman took a major turn for the worse on Christmas Day, and they had to airlift him to a hospital in Des Monies. He's home now, and the "TEAM" has met with hospice. I'm cutting out Peggy's last post from her CarePage, and the pictures (I hope she doesn't mind) because I know a lot of people haven't signed up to get into the updates ..... but I am hoping that you can say an extra prayer or two for this family and especially Coleman. It's an odd feeling to have become "attached" to a family that you've never met, but after reading Coleman's mom's updates for so long - the great times they've had as a family in the worst POSSIBLE conditions .... it's hard not to just love them to pieces for the strength that they have. Even going through all this, in Peggy's post below, she worries about thanking everyone for their kindness and generosity. She is AMAZING. I am keeping Coleman in my thoughts tonight...I hope you can do the same...he needs all the help he can get...no child should have to go through this.

From Coleman Larson's CarePage:
Overwhelmed and Hanging on...
Posted 4 hours ago
Well, here I sit at my laptop- right where I left it Christmas Eve night when I last updated…
When I typed that update, I didn’t know what would happen next, but I fully intended that I would be updating the next day after the boys woke up- Scott and I were so excited for Christmas morning and watching them open everything…OR I at least thought I’d be able to update after our ER visit. In true Team Larson fashion though, a NEW plan unfolded, and this is the first I have been back to type it out. Our house still sits as it did Christmas morning.
So I guess I’ll jump right in and start from Christmas morning- I know I'll probably leave a lot of details out, but here is the short version.Caden came down the stairs and was overwhelmed with the generosity of Santa! (Thanks to so many of you, and to so many secret Santas they had- GOD BLESS YOU!) He stood there in a daze, not knowing which way to turn…(kind of like his parents) He started ripping into things, while Scott and I did our best to put our happy faces on, knowing we were going to give him an hour or so and then be heading back to the ER with Coleman.Cade didn’t get through opening everything, but we had him choose two favorites and got him dressed to go to Aunt Sherri’s who met us at the ER. (THANK YOU SHERRI!) Coleman was pretty unresponsive as he didn’t have the best night and was still not talking or swallowing much. He was unable to talk and mostly slept. We were very worried.
While we were in the ER, the doctors called DesMoines, and we were given the choice to either come home with him, or come there to have him looked at. We knew we couldn’t take him home again on our own without doing something, so Coleman and I got a helicopter ride to DesMoines while Scott drove to meet us. Oh how I wish Coleman would have known he was riding in a helicopter. He would have LOVED telling Caden all about that. He slept the whole way.
Once we landed in Des Moines, they got us a big room and kept Coleman comfortable. We can’t say enough about the kindness and compassion shown to us by the staff at Blank Children’s Hospital. Dr. Al-Zein and Dr. Woods are not just doctors but true angels. They were so wonderful to us- our nurses were the best as well. THANK YOU to everyone who took such great care of not just Coleman, but our family too.
They gave Coleman a drug called Manatol (?) and after a day of sleeping, he did come to a little and we got a few more words out of him…even a dirty look or two, which I considered a gift- it was nice to see him responding. He picked up his hunger right where he left off after not eating anything by mouth for three days.
Unfortunately it was short lived and he is back to the mostly sleeping and maybe a word here or there, and just a little food…but with all the of the pain meds, he’s pretty out of it. Even doped up on morphine though, bunny’s ribbon gets the twirling, same as always. We were inpatient until today.
We came home today and met with a couple of awesome ladies from hospice, and we went over many options. For now, we are home. That may change, but we want to try it at least. Also Coleman is on a new oral chemo, because…. Well… “Team War-sin NEV-VA divs up.” We aren’t finished yet…we know in our hearts we need to keep praying and trusting in God’s love for Coleman and for us all.
We have a new set of meds to keep Cman comfortable. That's our main goal, we DO NOT want him to be in pain, and so far he doesn’t seem to be. We pray that continues. We’ll take one day at a time and see how everything goes. The one thing, the only thing, that’s for certain right now- God is with us and giving us strength to keep going.
Caden was able to come to the hospital and spend the past few nights with us in the room. It was a wonderful gift to all four be able to spend time together, even if it was in a hospital room.
We’ve been having talks with Caden…I can’t begin to explain how difficult it is to answer his questions, hold him as he sobs, and says he needs to “help Coe-man fight harder.” It brings to mind the quote we have on Coleman’s home page here- "“There's nothing that can help you understand your beliefs more than trying to explain them to an inquisitive child.” -Frank A. ClarkHow true it is.
The bond between Caden and Coleman is something we’ve seen all along, and that in itself is hard for us to comprehend at times, yet it’s there. I think we’ve given Caden as much as he can handle each time we talk, and we take his cue of when he needs to quit talking about it & go back to being the bouncy little boy he is.
Small steps.I’m going to end there as I think I need to take this in small steps as well.
I can't end with out saying...WOW- how blessed we are! The messages of support- what can I even begin to say? it’s overwhelming, and I find it hard to explain how touched we are. We thank you for the amazing support of our family, and for your prayers. There are so many people I’d like to personally thank, but I would be sitting here all night- please know how much it means to us.We’re hanging in there, and doing what we’ve always done…taking one day at a time, (sometimes one moment) and thanking GOD for all He’s continues to provide us in helping us make it through.
Blessings to you all,Team Larson


No comments: